The Duster

Mrs. Pearson Returns to HHS Teaching Staff

Back to Article
Back to Article

Looking over a Calculus problem, Mrs. Pearson helps Spencer Knuth and Caden Erickson.

by Ryan Melroy, Editor

”The number one thing, I love the relationships with the students, That’s why I do it,” said Mrs. Pearson, HHS’ Calculus, Algebra, Geometry and Pre-Calculus teacher, about why she teaches.

Mrs. Pearson graduated from Clarkston High school in a suburb of Detroit, Michigan and later went to the University of Michigan and graduated with a degree in Biology and Chemistry. After she married her husband, Brent, she attended the University of Nebraska at Kearney and earned a degree in Math.

Mr. and Mrs. Pearson have three sons, who are all HHS alumni –  Gray, Lincoln, and Del. Gray and Del work on the family farm while Lincoln is finishing his last year of Dentalschool.

“I like how our school is a ‘big’ school in a small town, so that we can offer things like calculus and journalism that smaller schools might not be able to provide,” said Mrs. Pearson.

Mrs. Pearson is no stranger to the HHS system, however. After teaching at R-4 for ten year and then teaching at the high school for five, Mrs. Pearson decided to take a break from teaching to accomplish some things she needed to do in life that she wouldn’t have been able to do if she put them off. Some amazing accomplishments she had over this time was climbing mountains all over the world, in places like Africa, Peru, and Switzerland. During this time, Pearson also earned her pilot’s license.

While balancing mountain climbing and all of her other adventures, Mrs. Pearson never stopped actually teaching.

“ I always had two or three people that I was helping through college math,” she said,  but she still missed teaching in a classroom full of students.

Last year, Mrs. Pearson was asked to step in to fill Mr. Woodruff’s teaching position for the remainder of the year. At this point in her life, she felt as if she was ready to come back to teaching and at the end of the school year when she was offered the full time position for the upcoming school year.

” I guess the timing was just right, so I decided to come back,” said Mrs. Pearson.

• Mrs. Pearson Returns to HHS Teaching Staff

Organizations

National Honor Society Inducts Twenty New Members

Showcase

BACK-TO-BACK STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS

Organizations

FFA Students Compete in District Land Judging Meet in Franklin

Academics

Introduction to Agriculture Class Attends Husker Harvest Days

News

Boys’ Tennis Team “Serves” in a Different Way

Arts

Marching Band Earns First Place at UNK Parade Competition

Showcase

Homecoming Week Comes to an End with Coronation and Dance

News

New Security System Added to High School

Showcase

Foreign Exchange Student Enjoys the Arts

News

Mrs. Windholz Takes Over in Family and Consumer Science Classes

The Student News Site of Holdrege High School