The Duster

BACK-TO-BACK STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS

Girls' Cross Country Captures Gold Again at State Meet

Back to Article
Back to Article

BACK-TO-BACK STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS

STATE CHAMPS AGAIN! Coach Tim Fuehrer, Head Coach Stephanie Fuehrer, Kelsey Belgum, Sydney Reed, Kenzie Hurlbert, Lacy Biltoft, Jirsie Klein, and Cassidy Newth

Lacy Biltoft, Staff Member

Winning a State Championship is difficult, repeating as State Champions is harder, but that is what the girls’ cross country team accomplished. With the addition of Sydney Reed and Kelsey Belgum, the team was able to fill the void of the two graduating seniors from the previous year.
“I loved it. The season was one of firsts, but all so good,” said Sydney Reed.
The Dusters won two regular season meets – Ogallala and Gothenburg; finished second at Cozad and McCook and fourth at UNK. They went on to win the Central 10 Conference hosted in Holdrege and Districts in Ogallala, and went on to win State by fifteen points over Fort Calhoun.
Individually, Sydney Reed was the top finisher for the team in five of the nine meets. Playing volleyball the three previous years, she placed fifth at State. Sydney placed in the top ten in every meet.
“I thought we competed well as a team. It’s nice to see where we are at and continue to work hard,” said Kenzie Hurlbert.
Junior Kenzie Hurlbert placed ninth at the state meet, helping to earn the team another victory. She placed in the top fifteen in every meet as well.
“I thought State was a really good meet, not just individually, but team wise. I think a lot of goals were met,” said Jirsie Klein.
Jirsie Klein, a junior, placed in three of the nine meets. Placing thirteenth last year at state, she managed to get a thirty-third finish this year.
Sophomore Lacy Biltoft placed in the top fifteen in five of the nine meets. She ended up tying for nineteenth place at the state meet.
“The season was full of highs, and I’m happy that I got to be in a team with such good people to celebrate all of it with,” said Lacy Biltoft.
Rounding out the team was another addition to the team, senior Kelsey Belgum. She competed in every meet, but did not finish the state meet due to injury. Returning letter-winner, senior Cassidy Newth competed in four of the nine meets due to injury.

• BACK-TO-BACK STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS

Showcase

Melroy, Munoz and Weak Qualify for State Wrestling Meet

• BACK-TO-BACK STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS

Arts

Speech Team Earns Twenty-six Medals at Minden Meet

• BACK-TO-BACK STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS

Showcase

Boys’ Basketball Defeats Rival Minden Whippets

• BACK-TO-BACK STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS

Showcase

Duster Girls’ Basketball Captures Two Wins

• BACK-TO-BACK STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS

Showcase

High Helpers Assist Elementary Teachers and Students

• BACK-TO-BACK STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS

Showcase

• BACK-TO-BACK STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS

Arts

• BACK-TO-BACK STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS

Sports

Wrestling Team Places Fifth at Adams Central Invite

• BACK-TO-BACK STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS

News

Ms. Casper Joins HHS Staff as a Student Teacher

• BACK-TO-BACK STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS

Organizations

Students Compete at FCCLA STAR in Kearney

The Student News Site of Holdrege High School
BACK-TO-BACK STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS