The Duster

BACK-TO-BACK STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS

Girls' Cross Country Captures Gold Again at State Meet

Back to Article
Back to Article

BACK-TO-BACK STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS

STATE CHAMPS AGAIN! Coach Tim Fuehrer, Head Coach Stephanie Fuehrer, Kelsey Belgum, Sydney Reed, Kenzie Hurlbert, Lacy Biltoft, Jirsie Klein, and Cassidy Newth

Lacy Biltoft, Staff Member

Winning a State Championship is difficult, repeating as State Champions is harder, but that is what the girls’ cross country team accomplished. With the addition of Sydney Reed and Kelsey Belgum, the team was able to fill the void of the two graduating seniors from the previous year.
“I loved it. The season was one of firsts, but all so good,” said Sydney Reed.
The Dusters won two regular season meets – Ogallala and Gothenburg; finished second at Cozad and McCook and fourth at UNK. They went on to win the Central 10 Conference hosted in Holdrege and Districts in Ogallala, and went on to win State by fifteen points over Fort Calhoun.
Individually, Sydney Reed was the top finisher for the team in five of the nine meets. Playing volleyball the three previous years, she placed fifth at State. Sydney placed in the top ten in every meet.
“I thought we competed well as a team. It’s nice to see where we are at and continue to work hard,” said Kenzie Hurlbert.
Junior Kenzie Hurlbert placed ninth at the state meet, helping to earn the team another victory. She placed in the top fifteen in every meet as well.
“I thought State was a really good meet, not just individually, but team wise. I think a lot of goals were met,” said Jirsie Klein.
Jirsie Klein, a junior, placed in three of the nine meets. Placing thirteenth last year at state, she managed to get a thirty-third finish this year.
Sophomore Lacy Biltoft placed in the top fifteen in five of the nine meets. She ended up tying for nineteenth place at the state meet.
“The season was full of highs, and I’m happy that I got to be in a team with such good people to celebrate all of it with,” said Lacy Biltoft.
Rounding out the team was another addition to the team, senior Kelsey Belgum. She competed in every meet, but did not finish the state meet due to injury. Returning letter-winner, senior Cassidy Newth competed in four of the nine meets due to injury.

• BACK-TO-BACK STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS

Organizations

National Honor Society Inducts Twenty New Members

• BACK-TO-BACK STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS

Organizations

FFA Students Compete in District Land Judging Meet in Franklin

• BACK-TO-BACK STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS

Academics

Introduction to Agriculture Class Attends Husker Harvest Days

• BACK-TO-BACK STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS

News

Boys’ Tennis Team “Serves” in a Different Way

• BACK-TO-BACK STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS

Arts

Marching Band Earns First Place at UNK Parade Competition

• BACK-TO-BACK STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS

Showcase

Homecoming Week Comes to an End with Coronation and Dance

• BACK-TO-BACK STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS

News

New Security System Added to High School

• BACK-TO-BACK STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS

Showcase

Foreign Exchange Student Enjoys the Arts

• BACK-TO-BACK STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS

News

Mrs. Windholz Takes Over in Family and Consumer Science Classes

• BACK-TO-BACK STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS

Organizations

The Student News Site of Holdrege High School
BACK-TO-BACK STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS