Boys Tennis Team Competes at State

Avery Michalski, Staff

On October 17th, eight members of the Holdrege boys tennis team and their coaches traveled to Lincoln to compete at the Nebraska State Tennis Tournament. They played at Woods Tennis Center competing against multiple Class B schools from across the state. 

Players that represented Holdrege included: #1 singles player Harrison Elliott (12), #2 singles player Eli Swanson (12), #1 doubles players Eli Borden (12) and Hunter Ness (10), and #2 doubles players Parker Hamling (12) and Gage Huston (11). Alternate players were Chance Aldama (10) and Jaxson Karn (9). 

Competing with the team at the state tournament is a significant bonding experience. When asked what the most rewarding part of playing at state was, senior Harrison Elliott said, “Getting to spend time with my teammates and coaches was the best part.” Coach Eric Brown said, “A memory of team camaraderie during state would have to have been doing the yearly tradition of going to Olive Garden.” 

The boys played tough matches and many of them ended in tiebreakers. Doubles player Parker Hamling stated this about his match, “My match was up and down; I felt opposite emotions every point.” His partner Gage Huston said about that same match, “Playing Kearney Catholic was very mentally exhausting; the match was long and every point mattered.” Gage also said, “Losing was really discouraging, but knowing that we played our best match of the year felt really good.” 

Many of the players who competed at state this year were seniors and the matches they played were the last of their high school career. When asked how this year’s state competition compared to previous years’ competitions, Eli Borden said, “I enjoyed it more than the last couple years, not due to any specific thing, it was just fun.” And when asked what were some memories he’s had with the senior players this season, Coach Brown said, “I have had great memories with each of the seniors individually, but collectively I would say how great their sportsmanship was on and off the court.”