Dusters Look Forward to Upcoming Basketball Season

Beau Jensen, Staff

The Duster girls will be led by a core of four seniors and a host of underclassmen.

Dusters’ girls basketball looks to improve on it’s record from last year after going over .500 with a record of 11-10. With the main core group of girls that played a lot of minutes last year back, they look to do some damage this season. With years of losing a lot of key players that were seniors, this group brings a lot of experience that will be very helpful for this season. “There’s a lot of leadership, encouragement, and young development that I’ve seen that will greatly benefit us going into this season,” said head coach Derek Runcie. With only fourteen girls going out this year, a lot of the girls will get a lot of playing time whether that’s in varsity, JV, or reserve. “I think that our seniors and sophomores are really stepping and up showing all the freshmen and new girls on the team what the energy and attitude during practice should look like,” said returning player Avery Hurlbert. 

The Duster boys will be looking for improvement under a retooled coaching staff.

The Duster boys have some new faces this year with a whole new coaching staff consisting of Brandt Runge, Matt Thomas, Austin Mishou, Todd Moore, and Le’shaun Miner. After going 4-17 the Dusters are looking for a bounce back season with this new coaching staff. With two returning starters and a few key role players coming off the bench, they have some experience going into the season. The Dusters for both boys and girls start off the season versus the Centura Centurions. “I’m excited to see the boys go compete and can’t wait for this upcoming season,” said new assistant coach Le’shaun Miner. The Dusters will play next Tuesday in the Hall of Fame game playing the Bertrand Vikings and Elm Creek Buffaloes. Be ready for a new scheme for the Duster boys this upcoming season and don’t forget to come cheer on your Duster boys and girls this season.