The Duster

HHS Students Show Spirit and Pride During Homecoming Week

Football Defeats Alliance to Top Off Week

Homecoming Royalty: Jordan Hilyard, Jared Cernousek, Sydney Nelson, Alex Wells, Queen Baylee Barnett, King Charles Weed, Natalie Janssen, Trent Hoeft, Grace Townsend, Zach Hurlbert

Sydney Nelson, Staff Member

Even though HHS celebrated Homecoming a few weeks earlier than usual, students still found a way to proudly show their school spirit.

“I think this year’s Homecoming was a big success. It was great to see all the students rally together and stand as one,” said Student Council President Jordyn Hilyard.

Spirit Week kicked off on Tuesday, September 5, with “Twin Day.”  The freshmen twin day winners (voted on by teachers) were Lacy Biltoft and Morgan Fritsche. The sophomore winners were Harrison Elliott and Cade Wiese. Blake Garrelts was also a winner with his senior friend, Hunter Brenn. In the junior class, Madilyn Fritsche came out on top with sophomore Tehya Cuypers. For the seniors, Trent Hoeft and Alex Wells claimed the prize in their chicken onesies.

On Wednesday, students dug out their Hawaiian shirts and colorful leis for Hawaiian Day. The freshmen winner on Hawaiian Day was Grace Borden. Emily Hernandez took first for the sophomore class. Toni Clayton was the junior class winner, and Paola Alvarado was the top senior.

On Thursday, students broke a few rules of fashion and decked out all in one color for class color day. The freshmen dressed in green and the winner was Lauren Titus. Zach Reed was the sophomore class winner with their class color of white. The juniors found all of the pink they could, and the winner was Faith Anderson. The seniors’ color was black, and Jarod Cernousek came out on top with a heavy, black fur coat.

HHS ended the week with Spirit Day. The energetic students came to school Friday proudly wearing their purple and gold. After school, students put the finishing touches on their class floats consisting of the theme, “BBQ the Bulldogs.” The parade started at 2:00 and the traditional pep rally followed at the courthouse. At the pep rally, the class float winner was announced and the coaches of every fall sport gave speeches while trying to pump up the crowd. The seniors surprisingly ended up in last place in the float contest. The sophomores took third place. The freshmen finished in second, and the juniors were this year’s champions.

“Even though our senior class float got last place, I got to wear a hot dog costume. That was totally worth it,” said Caitlin Dahl.

On Friday night, the Duster football team came out strong scoring big early in the game. The Dusters went on to win the game 55-12 against the Alliance Bulldogs.

Coronation took place on the track following the victory. The 2017 Queen Candidates were: Baylee Barnett, Jordyn Hilyard, Natalie Janssen, Sydney Nelson, and Grace Townsend. The 2017 King Candidates were: Jarod Cernousek, Trent Hoeft, Zac Hurlbert, Charles Weed, and Alex Wells. Alexa Berney and Sydney Reed were the Jr. Queen Attendants. Matt Anderson and Drake Johnson were the Jr. King Attendants. Charles Weed was voted Homecoming King and Baylee Barnett was crowned Homecoming Queen. The week of festivities wrapped up with the annual Homecoming dance at the Tassel following coronation.

“I am blessed to be able to represent my class as queen and will do my best to keep these qualities,” said Baylee Barnett.

Students all agreed that Homecoming is one of the most exciting times of the school year. It was great to see students come together and show support for their school.

• HHS Students Show Spirit and Pride During Homecoming Week

News

Mr. Bendorf Retiring After 41 Years With Holdrege Schools

News

After 43 Years in Education, Mrs. Erickson Decides to Retire

Organizations

Grady Johnson Named State FFA Officer

Arts

Art Students Receive Awards & Submit Pieces

Arts

Cernousek Places Third in Two Categories at State Speech in Kearney

Showcase

Prestin Melroy Captures Class B 182 Wrestling State Championship

Sports

Boys’ Track Places Third at Central 10 Conference Meet

Sports

Girls’ Tennis Captures First at St. Cecilia Invite

Sports

Boys’ Golf Attacks Windy Cozad Invite

Sports

Boys’ Track Wins Holdrege Invite

The Student News Site of Holdrege High School